Friday, July 10, 2009

Snorkel in Paradise


Giant Clam

I finally got the chance to go to Suva and I ended up getting sick from my visit. Apparently I crossed paths with some kind of bug and threw up that night and was weak the entire next day. Can’t say it is my favorite place to go now. It’s all good though, at least I wasn’t one of the volunteers who had to be hospitalized!
Anyways, this week we went to an Indian settlement and learned a little about their culture. We learned how to make roti and curry (of which is too spicy for my taste) and a little about their culture and religion. Very neat experience!

















The environment sector group of FRE-7s!

Also, yesterday we went on a coral reef monitoring snorkel! I took lots of pictures and froze, but have some pretty giant clam pictures to show off! The reef was not taboo (protected), but still in good health. I was disturbed by how our boat driver handled the reef. He would stand on any coral below him, grab coral heads to stabilize himself while free diving, and pick up anything he saw… not exactly sustainable practices. A lot of Fijians see the reefs as infinite and immortal. They do not understand the effects of overfishing or killing the corals. Much to learn! That’s why I’m here!






The island we had lunch on!






So, I talked to Megan and Kate yesterday as well, and mom the day before! It is so nice to hear familiar voices and know what everyone has been up to back home! I need letters though!!! (I know Kate, yours is in the mail! I’m patiently waiting – something I have learned to do here!) I am so glad everyone is doing well without me! Lol.
The one thing (I said thing… not people, don’t get your feelings hurt!) I miss the most from the United States:

Black forest sundae – especially from Brahm’s

Ok… for those of you who do not know… moist, decadent brownies, with two scoops of succulent chocolate ice cream, covered in dark black cherries, rich hot fudge, fluffy whip cream, and a maracchino cherry… all for just $2.99. Cannot be beat. Those of you who live near a Brahm’s (Texans), please eat one for me!

Some red beans and rice from Popeyes would be pretty nice too. I will learn to make that here soon enough though!


Thank goodness they do not eat fruit bats in my village. Although, the village boys do enjoy throwing stones at them... :(

Oh, and getting protein, veggies, whole grains and milk in Fiji is quite a challenge. Milk is whole milk in powder form, protein comes in the form of fish, eggs, and sometimes beans, veggies are grown in gardens and bought in the markets, but seem to not be my favorites, and whole grains are replaced with whole meal, which means not much fiber. There does seem to be PLENTY of salty butter (bata), soya bean oil (waiwai), mayo, white bread (madrai), taro (dalo), tavioka (cassava), noodles, roti, buns, and coconut milk (lolo). Hmmm, I think I will grow a garden!
Anyways, sorry most of this comes across as negative. I am honestly having an amazing time and really enjoying the Fijian culture and people. Peace Corps has a great training program here in Fiji and I am surprised by how much they plan and do for us. Although, not having a phone at my permanent site will be a challenge. For those of you who don’t know, my cell phones (yes, two of the three companies in Fiji) do not have service at site. The only phone that will work is a land line, which I may end up getting, but I cannot call long distance on it. I will however be in town on Thursdays (Wednesday evenings back home) and at primary school on Mondays (Sunday evenings back home) if anyone wants to talk at those times my cell should work!

Well, I gotta go! Please send letters and pictures! Much love to all! Moce (Good-bye).

No comments: