Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Tree of Paradise


A Christmas Tree Worm







Soft coral












NEMO!

December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!!!

It’s like Christmas never happened. I do not know what I expected, but I am not sure it is really Christmas Day. There was one church service, not everyone went, a lunch with family, no presents exchanged that I ever witnessed, and no one dressed up or playing Christmas music. So different. I know next year to go out of the village for Christmas to get more of the holiday cheer and traditions that I am used to.


Giant Clam






So, because there wasn’t much going on in the village for the birth of ‘Christ’ I decided to give myself a Christmas present of snorkeling in crystal clear waters just outside my door. Going away from the village I was fighting the current, so the trip felt very tiring and good exercise. I took a rest at my favorite rock before heading back with the current, making the trip much more enjoyable. Below are several of the things I saw right outside my village’s coast. I am so lucky!


The beach I took a break at. My rock is up ahead!


December 24, 2009

I spent Christmas Eve in town. Go figure. The biggest shopping day of Fiji (and America) and I head to the nearest town. Great! Too many people, too much pushing, too many PA systems, and no good veggies in the market because of the hurricane equals ‘I didn’t get anything accomplished’. Oh well. I am going again on Saturday to talk to family on Christmas Day in America. Other than that, I spent the entire day in transportation to town or from town. Waiting on the wind to die down so that we could take the boat out or waiting on the bus to leave town, either way, learning patience. Good news! I got a new National Geographic in the mail today… and… a 5 page letter from my Bestie… AND a present from my Bestie! A much needed and appreciated disc man plus things for the kindy, candy, and tissues (I use the bathroom in public restrooms a lot and I think she has figured out how often I need tissue)! Thank you so much Kate! You are the bestest friend ever!


My koki (parrot) that ran away.

No comments: