Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fiji Time

Patchin Up the Straw

I am laying in bed in a fitful sleep, dreaming about merrily playing in majestic waterfalls when I am woken by a natural waterfall on my arm. My roof has holes! The grass finally started to break down and allow water from our recent torrential downpours to enter into my house. I think the wolf huffed and puffed until he blew the water in. Not only was it dripping through the roof, but through a layer of plastic and a mosquito net as well.


My little brother helping out with the grass.


Two elders in the village puttin on a hibiscus show.

So, the next day I expressed my concerns to the village men and much to my surprise, that afternoon they were digging trenches around my house and adding grass to my Fijian bure. I wish I could say this solved the problem... there are still leaks, but, much better than before!


Patchin up the roof.

Veisiko


A few weeks ago I participated in my first veisiko (to visit a sick person and take a present). We went to my Tata Cakaulevu’s (Big Reef) house in a nearby settlement to bring him soap, sugar, rice, milk, toilet paper, etc. He isn’t really sick, but his health in deteriorating and he lives with his son and nephew, so they have no women taking care of them. This situation in rare in Fiji, especially because he is 30 minutes away from the village and often fends for himself at 62 years old. He is an extremely kind man and is always up for telling stories, helping you when you need it, and always offers food when visitors come over.


Starting the hike to the settlement.


Hand in hand.


Hiking to the settlement.

Early in the morning the women’s club set out towards the settlement with their Fijian dreke (basket made to carry on the back) full of household supplies. We walked through the forest, plantations, beach, and mangroves to reach his house. Upon arrival a sevusevu (kava) was presented and all of the women drank one bilo (cup). Then, the gifts were handed over and a few words of thanks were exchanged. Finally, story time. A few women went fishing to collect food for lunch. I headed on to our beach for a litttle R&R.


Taking a rest before entering the house.


The women giving their gifts.


Tata Cakaulevu drinking grog.


Hiking to the beach.


Lunch at the beach.


Coconuts?

Halloween FIJI Style


Some of the crowd.


The famous 4: Lady Gaga.


Construction and 70s.


Yes, Santa went into the pool.




Words can’t express the good times we had for Halloween. About 30 volunteers met up at The BeacHouse on the Coral Coast. With four Lady Gagas, Jesus, Santa, a Girl Scout, Stevie Urkel, and many more, the party was beyond imaginable. I think the pictures do not do it justice. We had several people thrown in the pool and maybe one dancing on a table. I’m not sure what all went down. Let’s leave it at that.

Second Worst Boat Ride EVER

Oh my, the trip back to my village. Lol, dreadful to say the least. The buses were fine. I called the boat captain twice to make sure he knew I was coming and to check in with him. Well, another woman from my village and I were on the same bus from Lautoka and so we were on the same bus to the boat landing as well. When we arrived, the boat was missing. Oh I could kill the captain! He is one of my best friends in the village too. He said it was because the waves were getting bigger and a storm was blowing in, but he should have called.


So, Mili and I ended up waiting 5 hours for the youth boys to get done drinking beer and telling stories so that we could ride the boat with them. By the time we headed out it was dark, raining, the boys were drunk and wouldn't sit down, they smoked cigarette after cigarette (you would think on a fiberglass, open air boat that the smoke would just go up, nope), the engine stopped 5 times (something about the key was missing?), we hit reef once, stopped at two villages to buy kava, and I arrived at 11 PM, soaking wet. I think the staff in the Peace Corps office would have rather me stayed at The BeacHouse. I agree!


The next morning I woke up with no voice (allergic to smoke) and miserably upset that I left all my friends behind. They were enjoying each other's company and eating cheeseburgers while I was miserable. It’s all good.


Cliff Jumping?

Two girls from the village and I hiked up to the highest point near my village. I was so excited to finally sit on the peak that I so often wonder at! Four boys followed us with dogs. Each time we passed a wild cow or goat the dogs went crazy and chased them down. At one point the dogs caused anaphylactic shock on one of the goats and it passed out. Somewhat funny, sad at the same time.

As we hiked through the forest we found several fruit trees, papaya, ripe mango, passionfruit, grapefruit, bananas, plantains, and cocoa bean. The best fruit is free fruit! We also found this huge fungus/flower looking thing. Definitely made up for the horrible boat ride the night before!


Fresh mangoes anyone?



Sharing a papaya.


On our way up...


The group made it!


The Top!


That's my village down there!


Look how BIG it is!


Close up.



My Mogli.


So scared.

Probably because she just got in trouble for doing this.


They are too much fun.


The Cool Kids.


The Fijian-Red Neck Car.

No comments: