Friday, April 8, 2011

Noqu Siga Ni Sucu ("My Day of Birth")

My birthday was a hit. I had 5 celebrations! Count them… 5! One was a girls’ night at a local resort (including an earth oven feast, Fijian show, Easter egg hunting, and just plain fun with the girls),





That night they passed out in the grass, got rained on, and were forced to move onto the rock hard porch.



the second with a friend at the waterfalls near my village,



the third was a party my village threw for me,





the fourth at lunch with all the volunteers of Ra, and the fifth was a special gift from my namesake and her husband (my counterpart)… sharing a cake!!
Is she not the cutest thing. Lol. She got into the cake on the boat. Put a nice Ulamila handprint in the center.

Lewa and my Yaca (namesake) enjoying the birthday cake!

Way more than I expected or even deserve. I loved turning 26. One of my fears in life is growing old, but so far it has been a blessing. Being able to experience Fiji, continue to keep my friends back home, and make new connections daily has fueled me for two years now! Thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way and supported me in my crazy two year endeavor. I love ya’ll!

Na Salasimede (Footpaths)
The men have been working hard on the footpaths.



The footpaths reach the community hall! We had a big celebration while Megan was in the village.



Misc.

My friend Filo and I.


Beautiful lemon pepper swordfish steaks that I totally cooked myself! Mmmmm!


Peace Corps came to prepare the village for my replacement volunteer.


A typical Fijian returning from a hard days' work.


This man was at the Peace Corps office. Can you believe it? An Alabama shirt with Bham, Gadsden, Auburn, and Pensacola. Craziness! Plus it was in orange and blue! WaR eAgLe!!!!

No comments: