Friday, June 24, 2011

Preparing to Leave the Village

Iron Chef
Each year the new volunteers (still trainees) are given a recipe and money to buy the supplies. This year I was responsible for helping to make that happen! All of the trainees cooked up their dish and prepared roti (Indian tortillas). We had a contest for the best main, best side, and best presentation plus a prize for the best two roti. It was a hit. I think the best part was the non-formal talk we had on the “Realities of Living in Fiji”. All-in-all, a great day!



Traveling by Local Transport
The rickety, wooden bridges that we cross going from my town center to the capital along King's road. The view is spectacular, but the roads are atrocious.
I get around Fiji. I mean, I am pretty much a local. One of my favorite things to do is just ride. The buses here may drive like crazy, or stop a bagillion times in a 1 kilometer stretch, but they are care free, usually spacious, and breezy. No complaints here. Plus, I can snap random pictures out the open air windows. Below are a few shots of Western Viti Levu, Fiji.






World Renowned Beqa Adventures Shark Dive




I dove with BULL SHARKS!! Yes, that’s right. Huge, 18 foot, man-eating sharks and the crazy Fijians were willing to hand feed them like a baby cow. It was crazy! There were people-size fish, countless sharks, and spiraling schools all around. Just amazing! If you ever get the chance to SCUBA dive a “rare operations” such as with whale sharks, shark dives, manta rays, humpbacks, etc. I totally recommend the life enhancing experience for all! (Unless of course a shark makes you shat your pants. I do not think that would go over too well in a 7 mm wetsuit).


How many of those monsters are there?

Time is Coming to a Close
Last night (June 24th) was a big night for me... one hundred and fifty of my closest Fijian friends and family threw me a going away party. It is tradition in Fijian culture for a person leaving a village to present some kava root to the village. There is often a big dinner and party associated with this exchange as well. The ceremony is called an itatau. I was seated at the very top of the table, a few speeches were exchanged, kava root was presented on my behalf for the food and another for me leaving the village, then, we all stuffed ourselves on a magnificent feast! There was baked chicken, prawns in coconut milk, fried fish, boiled salmon cod, fried eggs, cassava, sweet potato, soup, and much, much more. I was so impressed with the village’s production and actually felt a little appreciation for all of my hard work over the last two years. What a nice thing for them to do for me as a going away present! Vinaka vakalevu na noqu koro mai Nakorotubu. Loloma vei kemuni kece!
Me, my counter part, the chief, and the eldest elder sitting at the head of the dinner table.
Ulamila and I in our matching fabric! My new sulu jaba is just perfect. I will be wearing it to a few Peace Corps events in America.

Surfing the Coral Coast
It turns out getting up on the board and riding a wave is easy... if your waves are little baby speed bumps. The hard part is fighting the current to get to the next ride.
Learning how to surf!

My Bubu Vesi just returning from his coconut plantation where he was preparing copra to sell.


The view along a 6 mile stretch between my village and Lydia's.

Lydia and I finally got around to meeting up at the local primary school to put the finishing touches on the world map.

Ili and my namesake: Alusio Jamie Vumainabuke! He is sooo precious!
She can sleep anywhere!!

No comments: