Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ahhhhhh

Ni Sa Bula!
So, I am doing well! Still getting those fresh fruit smoothies in the mornings and learning to tali ibe (weave mats)! It is very time consuming, back breaking work, but well worth it to say I took a weaving class! The women in the village insist I learn and my Nei Eta is a master weaver, so I am being taught by the best! Oh, tomorrow in my village we are having a tree planting session and I must keep two flowering plants alive in my house’s front yard. Wow, I do not have a green thumb at all and I must keep something alive for 6 weeks. What a joke. “Dee, I know you can help me out on this one!”
Well, I am definitely missing everyone! My TUBS, LEXI, WIL, Mom, Sis, Katers, Hoseys, Lauren Q, Megan D, David, Julie, Mo, Vanna, Jana, Jane, Tommy, Aunt Lisa, Daniel, Aunt Sarah and Uncle Mark, Nathan, Ashlee, Uncle Frank, Aunt Suzan, and of course everyone else that I do not have time to type! Oh, and Megan, I need you to write me about your PC stuff! What is up?
Weather has been absolutely gorgeous. I actually wear my North Face fleece in the mornings to get to Nausori or language class and the days and evenings are about 70-75 degrees. If anyone wants to come and visit I would recommend this time of year, next year. It is soooo pleasant and supposedly the best weather we will have all year.
I guess I should update everyone on what I have been up to… this past weekend two other trainees and I went to stay with a current volunteer near Rakiraki. She lives in a bure and it is situated on a bay with an absolutely amazing view. She has done some amazing work already including finding a new fresh water source, got the funding, and completed a fresh water spring project. Wow, in only eight months! What a trooper! We hiked through mud flats, mangroves, cow poop, swamp, and forest to get to a really nice beach and snorkel spot. The coral was healthy and plentiful, but not many fish. Kinda different than what I am used to! There were HUGE coral heads, soft corals, blue chromis, sergeant majors, and butterfly fish galore! I found lots of bright blue sea stars and sea cucumbers that Melissa and I played football with. Good times! Then the next day we hiked into the bush and picked wild cherries. We brought them back to the bure and made eight jars of fresh jam. Yummmm, best jam I have ever had by far. Yes David, it beats Mayhaw jam by a long shot! (Probably because we made it in the middle of nowhere, Fiji) So, after all of that we were beat, but somehow the next day I made it to Colo I Suva to swim in natural pools and waterfalls with Christian, Graham, and Scott. Gorgeous! We have to go another time to see the lower pools, the nature trail, and the rope swing. So that was the last couple of days for me… what have ya’ll been up to?
Tomorrow is the tree planting and language class, then I think Epi, Dee, Niu, and I may go to Suva for a MIC show (not sure what it is yet) and possibly pizza or burgers! Friday is a field trip to learn bee keeping and gardening, I think, things change every second, and then language class. We are also doing a project in our village where we must conduct a priority needs assessment so that we can plan and possibly complete a capacity building project for our host village, maybe a rainwater catchment system or a composting toilet. Learning a lot of environmental stuff!
Now on to my next wishes… Lol, I think I will add this section at the end of every blog because I don’t think ya’ll understand how many things we take for granted in the US. I absolutely LOVE getting the care packages and letters so please keep them coming! Much love! So… now I am wanting lots of chocolate (esp. dark like dove dark chocolates!), I want cheese but of course you cannot really send me that, dried fruit is a good one (like cherries, cranberries, raisons, at some point I may need plums or apricots…if you know what I mean), a pumous/foot stone (my feet are peeling away, I guess because I had princess feet before I came and now they are Big Foot Wal-mart feet… blah!), and possibly some school curriculum books for primary schools. I am just trying to get the word out early on... textbooks and really books in general are really really expensive and hard to get your hands on here. So if anyone reads this and knows of some old school textbooks (since every time a school starts to use a new edition the old edition is tossed out) that they are willing to donate or if anyone has some extra income that they would be willing to help pay for books to be mailed it would be much appreciated! Anyways, I will talk more later, it is past my bedtime!
I love you all! Miss you bunches! -Me

5 comments:

Kathryn Anne (Kate) said...

Jamie-
I am so glad you are doing well and loving it! I knew you would! It sounds like you are learning so much. How cool! I am sure you loved snorkeling and all that stuff sounds so exciting! You seem to be learning the language fast too...
Love and Miss you lots!
-Kate

Megan Dicken, PCV said...

Hey Honey!

I miss you lots and lots!! I wrote an email to your yahoo address the other day, but I don't know if you can check it. I just tried to call you an minute ago, but int'l calling apparently is not in my cell plan! Boooo. I will try to use my cousins phone. Can you call the states at all?

I'm so excited to see all the great things you are doing! I knew you would be awesome! You're learning so many words and, of course everyone loves you! Good luck with the green thumb thing...I'm trying to learn that stuff, too! PC requested more info from me on May 15th. It was time for my annual pap, which I had to wait to do on May 19th, then it took forever to get the results. they also requested a statement on why I indicated that I was taking a probiotic supplement...what BS! So, I faxed it all in on Thurs and am waiting.

God, I have so much more to tell you...let me know what is the best way to write to you.

Much love and Namaste!
-Megan

Megan Dicken, PCV said...

OMG, I just checked my email and I had a PC update saying a decision had been reached on my medical review and to look for a letter in the mail!!!!! I hope it's good!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited to read about all that you are doing. I had no doubt that you would love it and enjoy helping out!! It sounds like you are learning a lot. I look forward to your next post and pictures.

We are doing fine. Alice is growing like a weed & is still an angel. And Sam is going through a defiant stage and driving me nuts.
We miss you lots and talk about you often! Take care of yourself.
We love ya!

The Knotts

Megan Dicken, PCV said...

OMG (again), I just got med clearance! That was fast! I'm kinda stressing about the "stay competitive thing...