Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I made it to Fiji! It has been almost two weeks and man what a long couple of weeks it has been! I have had three yaqona (kava) ceremonies, many, many meals with dalo, some time at the Vidividi board, and lots of heat rash on my arms! But, it is wonderful! I am thoroughly enjoying the Fijian culture and my host family! I am not sure how detailed I can get about my village so I will just say that I am near Nausori town. My village has running water and electricity, but I have not really gotten a so called shower yet. More like sponge baths! Warai-na-lega (No Worries). I still get clean! Fijians are extremely accommodating and caring! They take care of each other starting at a young age and know how to raise children by 12 or so. Each village is made up of clans or “families”. Here there are 4 clans, but yet I feel like everyone is my Nei (Aunt) or my Tavale (Cousin). It is so nice to be part of a large extended family! There are several adorable people in my village that I would love to give a shout out to, but I think their names may need to remain confidentiaI. I mean, come on now, I work for the US Government. Lol! Anyways, I am going to add a few pics of my first couple of weeks. So please enjoy and call me anytime! +011-679-945-6310. Just remember… it will be expensive for you, free for me, I would love to hear from you, and I am 15 or so hours ahead of central time. Vinaka (Thank you)!

Much love to all of you!

P.S. Of course I have a huge want list… including my Fiji Rough Guide that sis insisted I leave behind. Maybe the Fiji Lonely Planet May 2009 Edition is out now??? I would also love some letters, size medium womens Nike biker shorts, a few pair of comfy knee length lounge pants, another mesh hamper, some generic naproxen sodium, some Frontline dog or cat flea and tick medicine, and I think that is about it! Oh, pictures of home and friends! Miss ya’ll lots!

Moce (Goodbye), Sota Tale (See ya later!)

Ok, pictures are not loading so I will say more! I learned how to go crabbing, clean the piggeries, garden, cook roti and pancakes, cut veggies, and do masimasi (dishes). So, keeping busy with my cross cultural training and Fijian learning. It seems like an easy language to learn I am just rushing myself. This weekend a few other volunteers and I are going to visit a current volunteer on the other side of Vitu Levu. I am stoked! So I get to learn how it is to live on your own in a village... which involves a lot of book reading, self motivation, and cleaning!! Lol. I will have a CLEAN house so that I don't get any scary hookworms, ringworms, roundworms, scabies, fleas, ticks, lice, bed bugs, Dengue, Diarrhea, or any other infestation Peace Corps keep scaring us with! Well, I better go. Time for class again... oh yay!

Much more love,

Me



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Jamie.... We are so glad you made it safely and it sounds like you are having a wonderful time (blast as Lexi says). We'll try to send you some of your wish list soon. Lexi is driving us crazy wanting us to plan a trip to see you for next summer. I'll send you some pictures of Wil's birthday party - we are still in the planning stages. Can't decide between Choo Choo (Thomas) and Ming Ming! Talk to you again soon!
David, Julie, Lexi, & Wil