Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Na Yacaqu E Viti 'O Aliti Kei Ili.

Hello!

Doing well in paradise still! Life here is totally different than in the States, but not in a good or bad way. It is much slower and everyone helps each other out. Just about every meal is shared with all of the houses around (usually because they are family). Their doors are always open and it is very common for anyone to just walk in your house and sit on the floor and chat.

My Nei Eta lives next door and she has been helping me learn to weave mats and make coconut bilos/cups. Anything you put in her hands becomes a masterpiece! It is so nice to have someone so talented close by. My sister Dee is a master chef… well, she cooks most of my meals which rates pretty high on my list! Master Epi definitely takes care of me… especially with my smoothies! Master Niu is incredible at making me laugh, and my Ilimo and Aliti are the best kids I have ever met. I feel as if having such amazing family around me keeps me going strong!

Today we had language class with Filipe and I feel as if I have a lot of work to do to catch up. I have been hanging out with family a lot more than working on vuli vosa vakaviti (learning to speak Fijian). Which is part of training right - the cultural exchange. On Thursday night I went to Suva (the capital of Fiji) with family to experience what they call the showcase. It is pretty much a fair and a flea market in one. They had all kinds of things to buy including mini grocery stores as well as mini shops and food stands. There were shows and carnival rides and I got to double up on my cell phone minutes. I paid $25 and I get $50 worth of minutes put on my phone! Yay! At some point they will do a triple up too! I gotta get in on that. So… I will be calling some of you soon! After showcase we went to a Pizza King and had Fiji’s version of pizza. Can’t say it is Formaggio’s, but I guess it will have to work for 2 years. Where are all of the burgers in this country?? Beef really isn’t common. Sad day.

Oh, now on to the nerve racking stuff: I had my site interview yesterday and it did not sound too promising. I know I will be working in a school a few days a week which would be great, but I have no idea what I will be doing besides that. I am hoping they take my wishes into consideration and put me somewhere near the coast. We tell them what we would like to have at our permanent site and they try and make it happen. Although, we find out our sites THIS SATURDAY at a group picnic. Wow, really soon. I am pretty sure that half of our environmental group is going to be on Vanua Levu, a few on outer islands and a few on Viti Levu. I know that I would like to live in a traditional bure instead of a hot tin and wood house, but I am also trying not to be picky. It would be ideal for me to be placed on Vanua Levu or Tavenuivi because they do a lot of farming so most fruits and veggies are free and you fish for your own food. Amazing! Being on Viti Levu would keep me in close contact with other volunteers though because it is easier to get around by bus. So there are strong pros and cons to every location. Also, on Friday or Saturday we have our first language interview. I am totally not excited.

Well, on that note, I think I am going to start studying. I will talk to you all soon!

Oh, and I finally have a Fijian name! The title says My Name in Fiji is Aliti and Ili. I actually have two names and everyone argues about which one I should keep. So... there you have it!

3 comments:

Kathryn Anne (Kate) said...

Aliti,

O(ni) kila na vosa vakaviti? I am glad you find out about your site on Vakarauwai. I hope they put you somewhere you will enjoy and learn a lot. I am loving your blog entries and check it everyday! I reallyyy want to go to Bruster's with you na yakavi nikua!

Did you notice my use of the Fijian language? There's a free language quiz for ya! Only from your bestie!

Au lomani iko,
Kathryn

Kathryn Anne (Kate) said...

P.S. I'd go with Aliti!

Bryce Wesley Merkl said...

This is a very interesting blog to follow. I hope your mission continues to go well!

To get some more practice on your Fijian, you might want to check out this great website that I found: Na Vosa Vakaviti wiki browser